Monday, June 14, 2010

Ex 4 Visual Thinking Research McKim

My Mother made all the pieces the same color to help from the distraction of the green and yellow contrasting colors. She was seeking the pattern of a star and found by taking off her reading glasses, which made the image blurrier, she was able to find the star. She used pattern-seeking after coloring the tiles then also changed her perception of the image.

I started off by going around the edges, this didn’t add up to anything. So i started specially looking for just a point of a star. I eventually found one with good dimensions which led to me finding the star. McKim mentions “finding” as a strategy as what you can do when something is concealed. I was surprised a perfect star was in the tiles, without the directions, I would have assumed it was going to an abstract star.

My Mom started analyzing the lines inside each square. When that didn’t provide anything she thought was right, she focused on the squares themselves (individually). She then looked at the picture as a whole, it took her forever but she was able to figure it out. It was a visual induction problem and she was able to focus on different aspects to eventually figure it out correctly.


I more thought about it as a math problem which is why it’s even worse I got it wrong because it is numbers! I just added all the lines together and thought that would be correct. In hindsight, there is no reason that D would be the answer. I didn’t see the pattern, to be honest I didn’t view it as a whole. I was so focused on the individual squares and then putting them together that I was using the spatial analogy operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment